Suikawari
Long run Saturday!
14 miles today. Woohoo! This training cycle I've been trying to intentionally take my long runs really SLOW. I've heard from multiple sources (repeatedly) that long runs are the time to just take it easy. Runs throughout the week are supposed to test speed/incline/etc and long runs are supposed to be enjoyable. I heard that when I trained for the St. George marathon too, and somewhat did it but this time I'm working on doing it more consistently.
With that, I've always found it hard to listen to books or podcasts when I run. I've never understood how people do it! I am so focused when I run and just want music to pump me up. However, as I've been taking these runs slow I've found that I can actually listen to books because my brain power isn't maxed out trying to push pace. I also found on this run that silence was nice.
Which lead me to an insight. When life is busy, it's hard to focus on anything except what's right in front of me. There is value in slowing down. Moments where life isn't so rushed leaves space for noticing others, greater capacity to learn and reflect, and allows more intentional time to connect with God. It also makes life enjoyable to have moments of slow!
| I ran the CP loop twice and then popped onto NYC Summer Streets for a part of my run. Sooo fun. |
In the afternoon, Macy and I took a nap and Marty took Emi to "Toy Story 5." I think daddy/daughter dates are so sweet. Thank you Marty!!
In the evening, our Japanese friends showed us "suikawari" or "break watermelon"--a fun Japanese summer game that's like a piñata.
Each person takes a turn with their eyes closed, spins around with a baseball bat until they’re dizzy, and then gets one swing at the watermelon. Everyone watching can shout directions to help guide them toward the watermelon which makes it really fun.
Marty ended up being the one to smash it and he didn’t hold back. That watermelon was smashed to smithereens! We gathered up the pieces and ate the rest of the watermelon together. It was the perfect summer activity.
I'm thinking we may just have to do this game yearly because it was that good!




Comments
Post a Comment